My annual Birthday Letter to my brother Steve. Enjoy!
Legacy. What a strong word. It brings up thoughts of great men and women throughout history, that made their mark, that did great things so that we inherit and reap the benefits of their work. The World English Dictionary defines it as, and I quote: “something handed down or received from an ancestor or predecessor”. Things like good looks, intelligence, drive, innovation, and money can be passed down, given as a legacy to those that come after. Well, I know, I always have to be the “reality check” in your life, a burden I bear… but here is the deal bro. You know I am a straight shooter. You, well… how can I say this? You… are not passing any of those things down. I looked at the list, and I said dang (I actually almost cursed), “Does he not even possess one of those things?” I tried. I looked. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Let’s take them one by one, just so, if we can somehow find a glimmer of a legacy…
1. Good Looks. Ok, admittedly, you had the 80’s. But really, back then, anyone with some tight spandex, a sweet mullet, and a fast car was considered “good looking”. You know, people look back and try to emulate the 20’s, the 30’s, the 50’s, 60’s, even the 70’s. But bro… really. Is anyone bringing the mullet back? Big NO. You rocked it. I thought you were cool, but hey, I was just a naive kid. I can still remember, you pulling and tugging to get those spandex on, thinking, man, I wanna get me some of them. But answer me this… what was that extra pair of socks you always had for? Alway a mystery. Hmm… But I digress. So, yes, you had your brief moment of time. Oh STEVIE was hot. But look at you now. Washed up. I mean, could you imagine you in some spandex now? Oh, wait, be right back, I have to go throw up!
Whew… I feel better now. That was awful. Ok, where was I? Oh, Washed up. Have you looked in the mirror lately? In the last year? Just look at your facebook? I mean, you are overweight (aka “fat”). You have no hair… and what you do have is grey. You walk with a limp. Bro… I’m sorry. I really am. So, let’s go ahead and check that off the list. Thank the God of heaven and earth Maddie and Noah got the legacy of Amy’s good looks. Just sayin… Thank God for all of us.
2. Intelligence. Ok, this one, I ALMOST gave you. That was until I got on your computer, checked the history, and saw that you have a team of people doing all your writings and work… I saw that you hired a book writer from India, a person to do your tweets from the Philippines, a blogger from the Ukraine, a sermon writer from China, and a facebook poster from Cherryville. Really, I will give you the fact that you had the intelligence to know you needed other people to make you look good. Ok? See, I am trying to find nuggets here bro… but it is hard. These guys do a good job and they work for cheap. So impressed. But, there again… they can only take you so far. So, let’s just say… intelligence is a wash. Not HORRIBLE, but I wouldn’t write home about it.
3. Drive. The only real drive you have now, is the drive from your driveway to McDonald’s. Dude, speaking of which, that place is killin ya. The manager called me… to ask for advice. He said, “He always orders two combos… and he is by himself!” “He says someone is supposed to meet him, but he sits for a while… and dang if he don’t eat both meals!” Every time. Dude, that is a problem. Oh, back to drive. You drive yourself to your tree stand… so you can sleep a little more… you drive yourself to Arby’s, Burger King, Chic Fila, Pizza Hut… I don’t think that is what people mean when they say someone has “drive”. Its more like motivation… which, frankly, you have none. If you did, well, life would be very different. So, as a favor, because I really care for you and your family, I’ll start coming over about once a month to just spend some one on one with Maddie and Noah… you know, teaching them that there is more to life than a controller, a couch, and Netflix. I’ll do that for you bro.
4. Innovation. Good lord… I somehow chuckled as I wrote that. The only thing you are innovative at is getting OUT of work and responsibility and getting into a fast food restaurant. Really? I tell you what, your board, they need to say, “Stevie, if you lead us to do x, y, and z… we will give you McDonald’s gift cards”. Then, bro, can you imagine the results? You would be innovative as crap… See, I am a problem solver. Something you never had a grasp on… So, no… big NO. No one will ever look back at your “legacy” and say, wow, he was an innovative person.. Not happenin…
5. Money. Oh my gosh… I just had to clean off my screen because I spit out my sundrop when I typed that laughing. Money is this illusive dream of yours. I swear, you could be blindfolded, and they could say, “Stevie, there are ten rocks in here and 9 of them are GOLD nuggets.” You would reach in and grab the plain ole rock. While everyone else around you… well, they are successful, you try to say, oh, I am “like JESUS”. I don’t need money. Steve? Come on… I am so tired of you putting on this spiritual front, then calling me every week to come pay your Pay Day Money Loan off. I am not cosigning for you any more. It has to stop. So, I think everyone that might read this knows without a doubt you are not leaving a legacy of money… poor Amy and the kids… bless their hearts.
So, that leaves me with the question. If you are not leaving a legacy of such things…. what are you leaving? Shame and disappointment. Yeah, I guess, those can be left… This makes me so sad. So so so sad. Good lord, I am crying again. Sobbing. You know… it is hard being the one to carry such a burden of trying to leave a good legacy for my kids and yours too. Nobody knows my secret pain of trying to help you look good.
I would say, hey, its never too late to start now trying to leave a “legacy”. But frankly, that would be a lie… it is too late. Look how old you are. You don’t have any friends, influence, nothing… It’s all a farce, your life. A failed experiment by a cruel God. You know… well, forgive me for saying He is cruel. It is one of those mysteries I will never understand. Like, here are some of the questions I will ask him when I get to heaven. I really do have a list… and here it is.
1. Why did you make ticks?
2. Why did you make mosquitos?
3. Who really killed JFK?
4. What were you thinking when you made a platypus?
5. Why did you have to make Steve such a loser and disappointment?
Yes, vast mysteries of our universe, that I hope to get answers to one day… Lord, we all do. So, bro, I know happy is a relative term, but for what it is worth… hmm… it is like a starving dog who finds a morsel of food… he is happy for a second… well, I hope that cake is a morsel of food for you today, so for a brief moment of this miserable life of yours you can be happy. Because I know, everyone knows, food makes you happy.
In all seriousness… lol… I love you bro, and yes… you do leave a legacy that you can be proud of! Well, all except the “good looks” thing. That was all legit. 🙂 I love you and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! NOW ASK AMY TO TAKE YOU TO MICKY D’S!!!! (You know they allow birthday parties there) Just sayin….
Your younger, better looking, smarter brother.