As a Christ follower, I’m sure you read your bible. However, allow me to ask you a question. Do you permit your bible to read you? There is a difference between reading the bible, and permitting the bible to read you.
The scripture teaches us in Hebrews 4:12, “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”
Did you get all that Hebrew 4:12 speaks?
1. God’s word is LIVING and ACTIVE
2. It’s SHARP and PENETRATES the SOUL, SPIRIT, JOINTS and MARROW
3. It JUDGES THOUGHTS and ATTITUDES of HEART
When we just read the bible out of habit, it becomes a mere devotional journey. However, when you allow the bible to read you, it corrects and changes your direction. When you allow the bible to read you, it will shape your belief, which is vital, because what you believe matters, because what you believe determines how you will live.
So, how do you permit the bible to read you?
1. Pray before you open the Bible and pray that your Bible opens you.
2. Don’t read the Bible trying to make your belief fit it. The Bible forms belief in you.
3. Picture yourself in the stories of scripture. How would you have answered Jesus?
4. Embrace the truth that God is speaking directly to you
5. Allow the Bible to love and convict the ugly side of you. We all have an ugly side.
6. Let the Bible inflame your heart and not just inform it.