6. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7. and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Just reading “Be anxious for nothing” makes me anxious. What about you? Being anxious is to have mental distress. It’s a battle in the mind that works its ugly way to the heart. That’s the destination it seeks out when it’s first birthed in your mind. It wants to race to your heart and take ownership.
The key to victory is not trying to find a loop hole that allows anxious thoughts to grow because the text will not let that happen. Why is that? Because it says to “Be anxious for NOTHING!”- There’s no option there.
What then must we do? We must take “Everything” to God in prayer and turn it over to God. How will you know when you have turned it over?
“The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds…”(That’s what the text promises)
In other words, peace comes in and becomes a mighty guard against anxious thoughts.
I mean why battle what you don’t have to battle? God is saying to us to give it to Him, take up His peace and move on with the assurance that He will work all things out for your good and His glory.
So here are 8 tips to help you along the way
1. When you wake up in the morning, have the self discipline to first think about the good things that are happening in your life. There is always something good there…find it.
2. Take a few moments in the shower, or however you get ready in the morning to speak into your spirit how you want your day to be.
3. Don’t neglect your devotions. Read the Word of God, but also allow the Word of God to read you. God’s Word in you, gets through you.
4. Set your goals for the day or you will become idle, and anxious thoughts use idleness as a breeding ground.
5. Stay active by exercising. You can simply go for a short walk at some point in the day and enjoy God’s creation all around you.
6. See how long you can go without saying anything negative about yourself or others. (It’s harder than you might think…try it)
7. Find some funny videos or a comedian to watch on youtube or television. You would be amazed at what a good laugh each day will take away.
8. Finally, at the end of the day don’t go to bed after watching mindless T.V. Take at least one minute to thank God for the day. You sleep better thankful.
What have you found helpful for winning against anxious thoughts? Share with us. Leave a comment.