Can you pray and sing praises to God when there is nothing to pray and sing about? I can…but it hurts getting started. It doesn’t feel right but I know it is right.
Psalm 145:3 speaks to us and says, “Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable.”
1. Great is the Lord (no matter how bad something truly is in your life…He is Great)
2. He is Greatly to be praised (no matter how sad you are, He is to be praised greatly anyway)
3. His greatness is unsearchable (His greatness brings healing and that healing is deep and endless…unsearchable)
God Inhabits The Praises of His People (Psalm 22:3 tells us)
Acts 16:23-26 “And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely: (24) Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks. (25) And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them. (26) And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one’s bands were loosed.
Their Condition Was Bad (but God was good)
1. Had many stripes upon them (the sting of persecution was present)
2. They were cast into prison (hidden away from everyone)
3. Their feet were in stocks (helpless to do anything)
But They Were Not Altogether Helpless
1. At midnight they prayed and sang ( their tongue couldn’t be shackled and neither can your tongue)
God Steps Forward
1. Suddenly (Nuff said! I just love that)
2. All doors opened (That is the product of God and the result of prayer and singing)
3. Every One’s bands were loosed (Others in prison were blessed and freed by Paul and Silas praying and singing through their pain)
What About you? Can you pray and sing through your prison time? Share thoughts with us.