For those outside the faith and for those inside the faith…when life doesn’t add up-Christ is still the answer. For Zacchaeus, the Tax Collector, life just didn’t add up. He was outside the faith. His story can be found in Luke 19:1-10.
1. He was very frustrated and unsatisfied with his life
2. He had self esteem issues (Possibly because of his short stature)
3. He was hated by many because of his profession. (A tax collector)
4. He knew there must be more and went looking for it.
5. Because he was looking in the right direction, (Christ) he found the answer
6. After meeting Jesus, what didn’t add up in his life now added up perfectly.
7. Because his life now added up, his character changed and he began to set things right from an eternal perspective.
Mary and Martha, friends of Jesus who were inside the faith, had quite another story. Their story can be found in John 11:1-44. For them Jesus seemed to have been missing in action. Their brother Lazarus had died and Jesus was no where to be found.
1. They felt abandoned (they had sent word to Jesus, (like us praying) and Jesus didn’t answer on their timetable.
2. They felt wounded. (they had giving Jesus a place to sleep, to eat…friendship)
3. Their brother who Jesus loved had became sick and when help was needed, Jesus doesn’t show up.
4. Jesus does finally get there, (late by Mary and Maratha’s account) and brings a strange and beautiful word.
5. Jesus speaks up on the old dusty road and says, “I am the resurrection and the life”
6. She believes but it still doesn’t add up.
7. Jesus then goes to the tomb of Lazarus and says, “Come out.” He does and now it all adds up.
What to do while God is not added up.
1. Outside the faith? Surrender to Him. Come to Him. It’s that simple. Stop running from the one that loves you so much he died for you.
2. Those inside the faith? Remind yourself that God is good, faithful, just and perfect love. You can trust Him for the right answer in due time. It will add up…I promise you.
Have you ever experienced an event in your life when things just didn’t add up? Then God shows up and the event changes quickly and adds up perfectly? Please take a moment to leave a comment and share your story.